Monday, October 14, 2013

October

This post may be a bit jumbled.

It has been almost a month since I posted again...what is wrong with me? It seems as if I have forgotten how to be a frequent blogger.

Well, October is here. I've already had my share of pumpkin spice lattes, mmmm. I've got my boots out, although it's still in the 80's here. I've worn sweaters even though I end up sweating and having to change into a t-shirt. October has always been my very favorite month, but for the last couple of years October has seemed like just another summer month. It's frustrating. I want my fall weather. My boots and sweaters are desperate to come out of my closet and make their way into the world! I don't want to jump from summer straight into winter, though it seems to be where we are headed.

October 9th is my dad's birthday. He asked me to bake him an "Orange Coconut Cake", which I have made once before when I was in the 6th grade. This cake was for a project I did on Honduras in my Spanish class. My mom found the recipe that I had written down from the internet. I wish I would have printed it directly from the computer because I wrote : "Bake for a few minutes. And don't forget, nothing is worse than a dry cake in the jungle." THANK YOU for that tip, child self. I can think of a few things worse than a dry cake in the jungle...But anyways. The recipe proved to be no help, so I had to find a different one. I mean really, a few minutes? Does that mean 3 or 15? The one I chose had to bake for 35. The orange flavor with the coconut is really amazing together. And it was easy too! The hardest part was the frosting, and only because my arm got tired of mixing it. Recipe here.



On Saturday, we celebrated my friend's birthday. Sarah is turning 25 today! Happy Birthday, Sarah! 
Sarah and I have a lot in common. Like me, she is also a big fan of classic movies and that was the theme of her party. Her party had a photo booth where you could put on some different props and take pictures in front of the "red carpet". This was obviously a TON of fun. 







I tried several different looks, although the mutton chops were my favorite. I felt like I should be giving the Gettysburg Address or something. The party was a lot of fun.

This month another cat has been welcomed to the family. He is the sweetest, friendliest little guy I've ever seen. And he is adorable. Bobtail, Siamese, and just a little cross eyed. I know you are thinking, "Oh great. ANOTHER cat for her to post pictures of!" Yep. So sorry! Sometimes, my crazy cat lady side has to show.



You know he's cute...don't deny it.

 October has been a busy month, just most of it not being interesting enough to post about! What have you guys been up to? I miss reading your blogs. I hope that maybe today and tomorrow I can get caught up reading and commenting!


10 lovely notes:

Rebecca said...

Haha! I feel the exact same way about October....i literally stare at my closet some days longing to wear all my boots and fall sweaters! LOL! :)

Rosala said...

I've been slacking in the blogging world too! I think it's due to being a junior in college and maybe a little bit of laziness... :\ I think I should try that recipe! haha I love that "Bake for a few minutes." comment ;)

Lacey said...

“"Bake for a few minutes. And don't forget, nothing is worse than a dry cake in the jungle."” – LOL. This made me laugh!! That totally sounds like such a kid thing to write. It makes sense, of course, but maybe not very helpful. Hahaha! That cake sounds like an amazing combination by the way, I never thought of doing coconut with orange! I’m going to have to try that now…

The photo booth photos are too fun! I love the one where you are giving a thumbs up.

Aww I am so glad you guys got a new kitty to replace psycho Kitty. Haha! Maybe Kitty just needed a friend?! What are you naming this one? I adore the second pic of him, his little teeth are so cute. Haha.

P.S. totally don’t feel bad… I haven’t been good about blogging either. But I think I’m okay with that at this point. At least I make sure I keep up with my favorites, like yours! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't mind the cat pictures. I think he is cute. And I am glad you blogged, I was wondering about you.

Susannah said...

It's good to have you back in the blogging world. Sounds like October's already been wonderful!

Jen said...

That cake was SOOO good! I love those flavors together. Amazing!!!

lol Bobby is so cute.

I love how Charlie Chaplin is kinda creepin in the background of all your pics, especially the one where you're giving the a thumb's up...

Jen said...

That cake was SOOO good! I love those flavors together. Amazing!!!

I like how Charlie Chaplin is creepin in the background of all your pics, especially the one where you're giving the thumb's up...

Glad you are blogging again!

Veronica Joyce said...

Hello Jessica!

Good to see you've blogged again. I've been checking your blog from time to time to see new updates. I read your comment on my blog today and I just knew that you've written something new. And I am right! :D Good to know your enjoying October. And the cake you baked looks sooo yummy! Happy Belated Birthday to your Dad and enjoy the rest of the month! :D

♥,
Nica

Niken said...

so glad to hear from you!!!!
it seems october is filled with birthday for you.

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

Ohh..your cat is SO cute! :)