Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Bible Study | James Chapter 1

Today I started back my daily quiet time by restarting the book of James. A couple of the verses I read today really stuck out:
This is something I desperately need to work on. Instead of constantly chatting mindlessly, I need to stop and listen. We need to be quick to listen to God and also to others.  Instead of gossiping or just talking to hear myself talk, I need to think before I speak. Instead of jumping to conclusions or holding a grudge, I need to forgive and let go. This is such great advice and I've decided this is the first of the fifteen verses I want to memorize to cross off #89 on my 101 list.

So, why is it so important that we watch what we say? The absolute best witness a Christian can be is through the way they live their life. Someone who gossips all the time, someone who is constantly mad or judgmental is not representing Christ as they should be. I'm absolutely guilty of these things but these verses remind me that I need to slow down and make sure everything I say and do represents Christ in a way He should be represented! 

These verses also bring to mind the Needtobreathe song, More Heart and Less Attack. It's definitely worth a listen. 

post signature

3 lovely notes:

Lacey said...

James is one of my favorite books! I love this verse and have always tried to live by it. I think it helps when you are on the other side of things -- when you feel like people aren't listening to you AT ALL is great motivation to become a better listener to others.

Unknown said...

Yes! I too have to work on the things I allow to flow out of my mouth. But, I've gotten so much better and for that, I an grateful to God.

Love when you say, "Instead of jumping to conclusions or holding a grudge, I need to forgive and let go."

Help me God!

Have a Blessed Weekend Jessica!

Victoria said...

"Instead of constantly chatting mindlessly, I need to stop and listen." - God was just teaching me that EXACT thing a few weeks ago. I got into an argument with someone and realized that if I had LISTENED first, the argument never would have happened. It was a breakthrough moment in this wicked heart of mine and a lesson I've gone back to often since then. :)

Thanks for sharing this!!!! It's beautiful and I needed to hear it from another perspective.

PS - I love Needtobreathe!!! :)