Sunday, October 27, 2013

We Saw Rock City (and Ruby Falls)

As most of you know, I have lived in Alabama my entire life. Living here, our two prime vacation spots are the mountains of Tennessee and the beaches here in Bama. Well, for years (and I mean my whole life) when we have passed through Chattanooga to go to the mountains, I've seen signs everywhere that read "See Rock City" and "See Ruby Falls". What is Rock City and Ruby Falls? Well, thanks for asking. Ruby Falls is a lovely waterfall that a man stumbled upon while doing some digging inside of a pretty large cave. He named it Ruby Falls after his wife, you guessed it, Ruby.

Being pale can make you appear ghostly.

This nice man, fellow tourist, was from Canada and made lots of jokes while we were stuck in some pretty small spaces.
After walking 2/5 of a mile in the cave, you finally reach the falls. It was beautiful. A little too commercial for me with the music and lasers, but still beautiful.
 Rock City is another nearby attraction. This area was founded by two missionaries. It is a natural rock formation that looks a lot like a city...made out of rocks. 



I was so excited to see some color in the leaves!




The Swing-A-Long Bridge was terrifying for me. I am a BIG baby when it comes to heights...
 

Me and Sarah!

Sarah, me, and Jennifer.

You can supposedly see seven states from the top of the mountain. And you really could see a LOT from up there!

Check out the mime.
Rock City was my favorite part of the day. The weather was amazing and we couldn't have asked for anything better. The attractions were a bit pricey, but it was a really fun day! And I can now look at the "See Rock City" signs and say, "I finally did that!" All around, it was a pretty great weekend.


5 lovely notes:

Jessica J-Marie said...

Awesome! My husband & I were planning on staying in Chattanooga next year for our anniversary. Seeing Ruby Falls was on my list of musts while there :) Looks like so much fun!

Niken said...

one day, when i come to alabama, you must take me to these places. deal?

Jen said...

You took some AWESOME pictures! Ruby Falls needs to use a couple of those in their brochures!

I had a really great time on our lil' adventure! Glad we finally Saw Rock City.

Amy said...

wow! those are two gorgeous places!!
nature is so beautiful and God is just incredible for creating it all!

Unknown said...

I had a great time! Your Ruby Falls picture is so pretty!